About a month ago, my friend Heather from No Business Like Sew Business and I got the hubbies to drop the kids at school so we could hit a big flea market like sale that a local church hosts each November. They always have a TON of stuff from furniture to housewares to cars and more! Their prices are amazing which makes it doubly awesome. You never know what you might find.
For a while now, I have been looking for a dresser or buffet to offer some more storage. Well this year, I found this ...
Isn't she lovely. Let me tell you, the picture is VERY deceiving. It was an "interesting" cream colored piece that has, over time, yellowed into a splotchy, nastiness. Additionally, it was covered with a thick coat of dust, grime and a few stickers.
The lines were amazing, the craftsmanship was awesome (dove-tail joints) and it was wonderful solid wood - no particle board here! It is 6 feet long and heavy as sin! The best part, it was a mere $35! It was meant to be. Yikes, now to get it home! It was super heavy and while we had a van, there was no way my friend and I were doing it ourselves. Fortunately, my husband called as we were having the guys at the sale were loading up so he met us at the house to help get it out. Ah, timing!
Admittedly, I was a bit nervous for him to see it, but in true hubby fashion, he was able to see the vision. Clean it up, a wonderful coat of paint, some new hardware and it would be amazing. Thanks for staying with me on this darling!
I was so excited, I got started almost right away. I decided black would look amazing and rich. There are some awesome tutorials out there for how to repaint furniture. I am know expert in this area so I read a few methods and decided upon a very light sanding, Zinsser primer, satin paint and a couple coats of polyacrylic. I removed the hardware and filled in the holes with wood filler
After the first coat of primer I realized how amazing this project was going to be. The lines were even more beautiful than I realized. I had removed the center door in order to spray paint the hinges and better paint the complete piece. Next came the final coat and new hardware.
Seriously, I am in love with this piece. I just can't believe how wonderful it looks. The hubby suggested the hardware - a combo of cup pulls and a simple long bar all in a brushed nickel. I can't stop smiling!
I still have some styling to do. I am trying to determine what to hang above it. I am debating between some family photos (aren't our new family photos amazing - thanks Carrie Ord Photography, you are amazing) or a picture or mirror. Until then, I went with a simple display on top.
This has been a really fun project and has further shown us the pride in taking a piece from sad to fab! The total project cost was just over $100 with paint and hardware. Trust me, we NEVER would have found a piece this amazing for that price. Maybe 10x that price. Plus, we get the joy in saying we did it ourselves!
Thanksgiving this year was so fun in our new dining room. My beautiful chairs, the perfect sideboard, great food and family. I couldn't have been more thankful for another great year.
Thanks for stopping by. I have many more projects I have been working on and can't wait to share them with you.